Sunday, February 21, 2010

a very creative weekend

oh how i am going to miss this room when we sell the house and move (that offer we got a month or so ago, we rejected in the end, so it's not yet sold). but, knowing our time is limited, we are spending as much time as possible in the famed blue room. on saturday, there were two sewing machines whirring away and canvases being painted. there were top models' outfits being designed and several sketches for a new ladybug plushie to be made as a gift for a friend. there was art journaling and sketching of garden designs. it was a veritable beehive of creative activity.

husband's oldest daughter's version of a plain spoken quilt top - all done.
the canvases were done by sabin and middle sister.

a baby duvet cover that i'm working on.
i was totally inspired by the quilt K is making.

my tanya whelan dolce quilt - fending off the winter blues.

i even got to the quilting stage of it and it's now all quilted (tho' not in this photo) and just awaiting binding.

a peek at the back of the dolce quilt.
it was dark when i finished the quilting this evening, so no pix of that.

a springy dress that i made for myself from the adult couture sewing book that i bought from pomadour24 on etsy. i can highly recommend the japanese sewing pattern books. the styles are simple and beautiful and even without japanese, you can follow the directions because the pictures are brilliant. it took a bit longer than it would have had i been able to read the directions, but in the end, it really wasn't bad at all. the patterns come on big sheets in the back of the book and you trace them off onto pattern paper and then follow the well-done layouts and directions. in just one afternoon, i had a new dress!

some fabulous leather pieces i acquired recently.
i've got plans for this, so stay tuned!

i spent some time just admiring my fabric stash.
and after looking at various stash groups on flickr, i realize it's quite manageable.
and in fact, i probably should really get some more if i want it to be a stash to be proud of. :-)
luckily, a bunch of goodness is on its way from here and here.
and i'm sure some of it will arrive this week.

another shot of the paintings.
sabin's on the left, m's on the right.
i think sabin's sense of color is absolutely brilliant.

she even had to mix to get those colors! i'm so proud of her.

and i ADORE these tiny canvases, especially the one with the face.
and how she used bits and pieces from the little plate of fabric and thread clippings.
i knew those would come in handy for something.

it's just too bad those canvases are so tiny (like 3" x 2")!

i haven't actually been counting towards my 100 creative things in 2010, but i think we're on track. i'm going to try to upload everything to flickr and do a mosaic to count in the near future. with various computers having been in the shop, my pictures are in three different locations. sigh.

all of this made it almost ok that it snowed all weekend!! 

what did you make this weekend?

16 comments:

Trina Y. said...

I adore the room! i so wish I had one!!!!!!! In the future!

Our weekend was creative! Mother in law made a birthday cake for our little one turned 1! Hello Kitty!! SOOOOO cute!

Little miss Harmony fell bumped her teeth on an end table and we lost her two front teeth! I am in shock still! SOOOO sad!

Wish I could muster up a tooth fairy to give her teeth back!!!

Our wedding is on Wed and I am proud of the wedding book and sticks I made! Check out my blog for the month of FEB!

Glad your weekend was crafty!
T

spudballoo said...

oooooh lovely! Well done S and both elder sisters, all your work is gorgeous. gosh such a busy weekend! Quite a lot of crochet/stamping/drawing went on here.....xx

BALLET NEWS said...

Wonderful post. How creative you are. Have a fab week

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

I love this room and I thank-you for sharing your private time with your readers.

Have a great week!!
:) :)

Best
Tracy :)

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

ok, I'm kind of overwhelmed by how much stuff you got done! Wow!

I love love love love the first quilt. Delicious colors.

Unknown said...

What a great room : )!!!!!!!! You can almost feel the powerful energy of a hundred projects coming right through the picture ;)

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

I love the richness of color that pours like a liquid rainbow from your blog... I still dream of sitting in the blue room with you.

beth said...

what....wait....
where are you moving/going to ?

stephanie said...

I'm so jealous of how much good stuff you made this weekend! How fun! My goal is to get cracking on the creativity this week. I've been working on my first quilt for about a year now and I really want to get it done. (It's a doll sized quilt as well!) Thanks for the inspiration!

By the way, I totally agree with you about your daughters sense of color. She really knows how to mix them up!

Char said...

oh all the stories the room holds and look at all the beauty

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

What a super fun room!!! Pleeeease take a picture of the inside of the drawers! :D

Diane Cransac said...

What a wonderful space to get lost in. I can see all kinds of creativeness flowing out of that room. No winter blahs here!

SE'LAH... said...

Wow! Can I just borrow your pinky's worth of creativity? I love the quilt (fending off the winter blues). Such cheery colours.

Sabin is quite the artist too.

xo

Bee said...

Your dress is so elegant. The fabric looks like the background of a Klimt painting.

This weekend? I spent most of it travelling and didn't make squat . . . unless you count a massive vat of minestrone.

Bocat said...

One word: Inspired. But, hey - do you ever sleep? :-)

Pattern and Perspective said...

I need to get back into reading blogs - I have missed yours so - always inspirational. Love your creative room & stuff. Lovely.