Sunday, July 25, 2010

goodbye harry


an old and wise professor and friend has died and so words feel a bit elusive at the moment. he meant a lot to me and was so influential to the person i've become. i'm really sorry i didn't get a chance to say goodbye to him - we tried to on our recent visit to the US, but he was too ill that day for visitors. all we could do was leave a note and some chocolate. i am privileged to have had him as a mentor and friend and he will be sorely missed.  i'm already rereading the brothers karamazov in his memory. it feels like an important thing to do, since he opened my eyes to the richness of dostoevsky and especially that book. his life was long and rich and full and he was a truly good and inspiring person. one can't really ask more than to be remembered like that. good-bye harry.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

I am sorry for loss...And inspired by what Harry has given you.
Best.
xo
Andrea

Char said...

so sorry for your loss.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

To be inspired by a teacher...that is a wonderful legacy to leave behind for your friend and mentor. You are honoring him in a way he would have smiled about...

Joanna Jenkins said...

Harry sounds wonderful. I am sorry for your loss.
xo jj

Anonymous said...

very sorry for your loss... I am sure that Harry got your note and chocolates.

Sammi said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Julie x

Suecae Sounds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suecae Sounds said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I just popped by to tell you that I blogged of one of your images over at my place:
http://suecae.blogspot.com/2010/07/204365-clover-crown.html

Lisa-Marie said...

I am ever so sorry for your loss. In time though, being able to remember him as a positive and insipiring person will help a bit i'm sure.

mrs mediocrity said...

I am so sorry...but clearly, he lives on inside of you, he left something with you. And I think that would have made him very happy.

Tara Thayer said...

for someone to have had an impact on who you have become, he must have been an incredible person.

and you for recognizing what he gave you.

and your photo for harry today is gorgeous.

hang in there, julie.
xo,
tara

Elizabeth said...

He will always live on in your heart and all the hearts he touched.